Happy Halloween, friends! A day of sweets and scaries, and for some, the eerie feeling that you may go overboard while eating candy.
First of all, let’s put some things in perspective:
- Just like you won’t reach your health goals in a single day, you also won’t derail all your progress in a single day.
- 100% perfection in dieting is not attainable… or healthy.
- You can be flexible without bingeing. You can honor your hunger and enjoy your food without sabotaging your health goals.
- The food will always be there- you don’t need to “cram it all in” to one day.
Here are some things to consider when enjoying some Halloween sweets:
- Don’t tear into the candy when you’re super hungry- it is all-too easy to eat highly palatable foods in excess, and being ravenous just makes this worse! Eat a satiating, well-balanced meal, and enjoy treats afterward.
- Don’t eat candy out of a large, shareable container or package. Take out a reasonable serving for yourself before you dig in.
- If you track macros, track the candy that you eat. It can help you avoid the “screw it all” self-sabotage mentality.
- Continue to prioritize protein and water intakes!
- Enjoy an autumn stroll whether you’re trick-or-treating or not!
Family events and holidays are meant to be enjoyed- so don’t feel guilty for wanting to partake in the food aspect as well! And if you do end up eating more than you’d planned, it isn’t the end of the world. You don’t need to be a slave to your nutrition goals.
After all… it’s just candy. Don’t make it into a monster.
Katy, RD, LDN, CPT